The hierarchy of waste management places resource recovery as preferred over incineration or landfilling. Pyrocal CCT systems allow recovery of resources that traditional waste to energy (WTE) processes do not.
Our systems recover the fixed carbon fraction of organic materials (from both biological or synthetic origin). Traditional WTE releases this carbon to the atomosphere as CO2 via direct combustion or digestion followed by combustion in engines. The potential uses for this carbon fraction include:
- Landfill capping for leachate and odour reduction
- Leachate capture
- Run-off filtration
- Soil remediation *
- Soil products *
Other Types of Recovery
Pyrocal CCT systems also facilitate the recovery of:
- Most of the embodied energy in the waste stream.
- Water from the waste, in a purified form.
- CO2 in a form that is useful for intensive plant production in green houses.
Pyrocal CCT systems allow these resources to be recovered without the furan and dioxin risks that incineration systems have to deal with.
Potential waste streams include biosolids, mixed green waste, builders waste and many plastics.
Our systems allow the destruction of BETX (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylenes and other toxic VOCs), PFAS (Per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances including PFOS, PFOA, PFHxS, previously known as PFCs)** and micro-plastics.
* Suitability is subject to levels of persistent chemical contaminant in the original waste stream.
** Custom design required for feeds containing significant quantities of PFAS.